Don Stuart is an accomplished and inspirational public speaker who has made hundreds of presentations to community, natural resource, and environmental groups over the past 25 years. He is available for presentations on a variety of topics related to issues of natural resources and the environment, especially those related to commercial fisheries and agriculture.
The following PowerPoint outlines provide samples of the materials included in some of Don’s previous presentations.
- “Environmental Markets for Agriculture,” PPT presentation on how environmental markets can improve the environment and help support sustainable agriculture.
- “Environmental Markets – New Agriculture Roles in Watershed Restoration,” PPT presentation for a local watershed council annual meeting.
- “Agriculture as URBAN Washington’s Greatist Asset,” PPT for presentation to a local food organization on food issues and why urban areas benefit from healthy local agriculture.
- “Agriculture’s Role as a Smart Growth Solution,” PPT for presentation to a smart growth/planners’ conference.
- “Why Farmers and Environmentalists Need Each Other,” PPT for presentation to an agriculture industry conference on why and how farmers and environmentalists can and should cooperate.
- “Disappearing Farmland: Why worry? What can be done?” PPT for presentation on farmland loss, why it happens, and what to do about it.
Don Stuart is available for consultation with non-profit advocacy groups, trade organizations, local communities, agencies, and individuals working on natural resource/environmental issues. He has experience with the political context in which such issues typically arise. And he can suggest public policy options that might help deal with those issues or help groups deal constructively with public policy proposals that might already have been suggested.
Don has special expertise with issues related to:
- Creating environmental markets for agriculture,
- Responding to endangered species and other environmental laws,
- Creating and improving conservation incentive programs,
- Developing programs that deal with environmental issues in a way that helps both the environment and farm and fishery businesses, and
- Developing plans and programs that strengthen farm and fishery economic viability,
- Working with salmon protection and restoration issues,
- Responding to legislative efforts and initiative measures on natural resource issues.
Don Stuart has some 20 years of experience as a legislative lobbyist on natural resource and environmental issues. His work has included lobbying at the federal state and local government levels. From 1990 to 1996, Don lobbied on behalf of Washington commercial salmon fishermen and fish processing firms. From 1997 to 2000 he lobbied for Washington State conservation districts. And between 2000 and 2010 he lobbied on behalf of the American Farmland Trust on agriculture-environmental issues. He was a candidate for the U.S. Congress in In Washington’s 1st District 1996 and was Campaign Manager in the successful defense of Washington statewide fisheries ballot initiative (I-640) in 1995. He has a thorough grounding in the political and policy dimension of natural resources and environmental issues.
Don is available to provide a legislative interface for organizations, agencies, and firms dealing with issues related to natural resources and the environment and whose goals are consistent with both an improved environment and economic success.